Saturday, March 29, 2014

Last day on the trip

Hey everyone, this is Kacey and Sofi here to tell you about our last couple of jobs. Friday morning started out with having McBrightbill's for breakfast, they were fab! Soon after we finished breakfast we headed to Ms. Hazel's house on Broadway Street. Ms. Hazel is a champion crab picker and a VERY sweet woman. Our job was to prime and paint her entire kitchen. Kacey and I made sure our cutting edge game was on point! Alexis, Jailene, and Whitney used their rolling skills to roll the ceiling and walls. Kayla took her paint brush and painted the tight spots where we couldn't fit the rollers. Mrs. Deiling was a great instructor, she is our girl, diamonds and pearls! After the paint job was completed, Ms. Hazel was very appreciative of what we did and gave us a million hugs and kisses. I, Sofi, learned to never wear a bun in my hair on top of my head when painting a ceiling. 

Mr. Carroll's crew went to Linda's house on Cove Street. Their job was to demolish the porch ceiling and rebuild it. They also took out the wainscoting, replaced it, and took out the damaged screens. The members of that group were Zach, Clayton, Cameron, Marshall, Autumn, Tyquan, and Shayna. Brightbill invited Linda, the homeowner to dinner with us; she very much enjoyed it.



On Saturday, we were not able to do any work because the monsoons came to Crisfield.  We made our French Toast breakfast and packed up to come home.


Overall, we had a fantastic trip. I, Sofi, was very thankful for the teachers who came with us. Brightbill is like a second dad to me. This will be my last trip and I am very appreciative to be able to have the opportunity to help others who really can't afford anything else. For me, Kacey, I feel like this is a bittersweet moment. I have been on three trips with Brightbill and have formed a long lasting bond with him. As a senior, this is my last trip and I am really going to miss it. I cherish every moment I have spent with Brightbill, Mrs. Dieling, and all the members of this team. Together, we all shared many laughs and smiles and worked together to improve the homes and lives of those affected by these disasters.We just want to say a big thank you to Mr. Brightbill, Mrs. Deiling, Ms. Connie, and Mr. Carroll for teaching us many things and being an amazing influence on us!

1 comment:

  1. You all will remember this trip as a trip of a lifetime. It may be your first experience with volunteering and the joys that it brings. In addition, the bond that you have made with the group will always be there!!!!

    ReplyDelete